fault : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention
I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults
- n an imperfection in an object or machine
- n the quality of being inadequate or falling short of perfection
he knew his own faults much better than she did
- n (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other
they built it right over a geological fault
he studied the faulting of the earth's crust
- n (electronics) equipment failure attributable to some defect in a circuit (loose connection or insulation failure or short circuit etc.)
it took much longer to find the fault than to fix it
- n responsibility for a bad situation or event
it was John's fault
- n (sports) a serve that is illegal (e.g., that lands outside the prescribed area)
he served too many double faults
- v put or pin the blame on
- AFTER years of inconclusive talk, no-fault automobile insurance has suddenly been whiplashed into a matter of national debate.
- Her fault, because she assumed that the store would repair the transponder and aim it properly.
- No-fault divorce reflected our selfish determination to do what was convenient for adults, and it has been, on balance, a disaster.
News & Articles
- San Mateo County police reports
Was it my fault? A person contacted police over an item in the local newspaper police blotter in Foster City before 7:08 p.m. Thursday, June 6. Arrest. A man was arrested on a felony assault warrant on Blythe Street before 11:31 p.m. Thursday, June 6.
June 13, 2013 - San Mateo Daily Journal
- Tom Cruise's Daughter Isabella Cruise Enjoys Low-Key Trip to Italy
If your parents are Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, no one would fault you for traveling extravagantly, right? Well, for 20-year-old Isabella Cruise, a private jet is obviously not...
June 12, 2013 - E! Online
- Deputy at fault for running over woman on beach
Officials say a Florida Panhandle deputy was at fault when he ran over a woman who was sleeping on the beach.
June 11, 2013 - NBC 2 Fort Myers
- Jesper Parnevik in Telegraph.co.uk
Parnevik, 44, said: "I'm kind of filled with sorrow for Elin since me and my wife are at fault for hooking her up with him, and we probably thought he was a better guy than he is. I would probably have to apologise to her and hope she uses a driver...
- Jake Peavy in Dayton Daily News
This was almost in an area different from the other one,Peavy said of his earlier discomfort. "I don't think anybody made any bad choices here. ...... I don't think anybody is at fault here, myself for wanting to be out there, the team for...
- David Letterman in ABC News
I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke,Letterman said. "It's not your fault that it was misunderstood. It's my fault that it was misunderstood."