farther : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s more distant in especially space or time
they live in the farther house
- s more distant in especially degree
farther from the truth
farther from our expectations
- r to or at a greater extent or degree or a more advanced stage (`further' is used more often than `farther' in this abstract sense)
the application of the law was extended farther
he is going no farther in his studies
- r to or at a greater distance in time or space (`farther' is used more frequently than `further' in this physical sense)
moved farther away
farther down the corridor
the practice may go back still farther to the Druids
- r to a considerable degree; very much
- r at or to or from a great distance in space
- r at or to a certain point or degree
- r remote in time
- r to an advanced stage or point
- Aware that two girls were still farther out in the water, Vance walked backward, pulling the shark along the sandy bottom of the shallow sea toward shore.
- Much farther along, the front-line toilers did their work.
- With just a pen and paper, he peeked farther behind Nature's curtain than anyone had since Newton then spent the rest of his years living it down.
News & Articles
- Yourwellness Magazine Investigates Rising Rates of Obesity and Weight Loss Surgery
With a new study finding that black Americans who live near fast-food restaurants have a higher BMI than those living farther away, Yourwellness Magazine took a closer look at the obesity epidemic, and how it has spawned a new trend in weight loss surgery. (PRWeb June 21, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10778677.htm
June 22, 2013 - PRWeb
- Google Rethinks Its Hiring Process – Less Emphasis On Test Scores, More On Personal Experience
Michael Harper for redOrbit.com – Your Universe Online In the early days, the folks at Google made themselves an example of a new age; a few people with an idea and a few lines of code could build a billion dollar company. They took this even farther with their unorthodox thoughts on how a business should be run. Employees were given time during the week, while on the job, to work on their own ...
June 21, 2013 - redOrbit
- IS THE SKY FALLING?
LOS ANGELES -- If you walk into a Barnes & Noble store -- yes, there are actual bookstores here -- you are more or less surrounded by tables and shelves marked "Beach Reading." But if you're not going to the beach anytime soon, there are three very good books farther in the back. The titles are enough to make your head hurt:-- "The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America" by George Packer ...
June 20, 2013 - Richard Reeves via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in The Age
Al-Qaeda has an expanding base in Pakistan that is probably no farther from their old Afghan sanctuary than a train ride from Washington to Philadelphia,Obama said in excerpts released by his campaign.
- Scott Verplank in SportingNews.com
It can be done,Verplank said. "But it does put a handful of guys at a much greater advantage, and those guys all hit the ball farther than I do. I was playing a practice round with Davis Love III, and he's launching it 300 yards to the top...
- Mike Holmgren in SportingNews.com
I've seen guys with their eyes pretty wide open for a while, then they settle in and it's a football game,Holmgren said. "The intensity level in playoff games -- and the farther you go along in the playoffs, and of course in the Super Bowl...