escalator : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a clause in a contract that provides for an increase or a decrease in wages or prices or benefits etc. depending on certain conditions (as a change in the cost of living index)
- n a stairway whose steps move continuously on a circulating belt
- I asked why he was afraid of the escalator.
- The National Coal Board's chairman, Lord Hyndley, concluded after almost four years of nationalization that mining coal in Britain was "like running up a down escalator.
- A woman carries a bouquet of yellow flowers down the escalator into the Pyongyang subway.
News & Articles
- The always broken escalator
An escalator at the Times Square subway station has been broken for a long time. A private company, Boston Properties, is responsible for maintaing it. PIX11?s Greg Mocker contacted the company and learned the escalator should be operational soon. …
June 28, 2013 - WPIX 11 New York
- Escalator pileup leaves four children, one adult, injured
Four children and one adult were injured in an escalator accident in Duluth and taken to the hospital.
June 27, 2013 - WKBT La Crosse
- Escalator Pile Up Sends Four Kids; One Adult to the Hospital
Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- A pile up on an escalator at Wells Fargo this afternoon left multiple kids and adults with injuries, sending some to the hospital.
June 26, 2013 - Northland's News Center
- Helen Lynd in FOXNews
The sociologists Robert and Helen Lynd described it this way: "A citizen has one foot on the relatively solid ground of established institutional habits, and another foot fast to an escalator erratically moving in several directions at a bewildering...
- Tom Hicks in Sportinglife.com
He is under contract. His existing contract has a nice escalator if he wins the Champions League. I think that would take care of his immediate needs,said Hicks, who along with George Gillett took over the club in April.
- Bob Brown in Sydney Morning Herald
There are thousands of jobs at stake and the quality of Qantas jobs are now on the down escalator,Senator Brown said. "John Howard would sell the Opera House and Uluru, no problem."