enormity : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the quality of being outrageous
- n vastness of size or extent
in careful usage the noun enormity is not used to express the idea of great size
universities recognized the enormity of their task
- n the quality of extreme wickedness
- n an act of extreme wickedness
- Julian, a victim of terror, warned that if we became complacent, attacks of similar enormity will visit us again.
- As George ruminated the enormity of what happened yesterday, news of another disaster flashed across his television screen.
- Given the enormity of the situation, the speed with which Anita was back on her feet is really laudable.
News & Articles
- Beaten players: Merion deserves another U.S. Open
HAVERFORD — Heading into U.S. Open week, the question was whether cramped Merion Golf Club could handle the enormity of another national championship tournament, its first in 32 years. Following four days and 72 holes, the question has become this: When will it be back?
June 21, 2013 - Main Line Times
- Rugby-Lions kicker Halfpenny revels in a world of his own
By Nick Mulvenney BRISBANE, June 20 (Reuters) - Leigh Halfpenny will try to shut out the enormity of a lifetime's "mad dream" coming to fruition on Saturday by closing his mind to focus on kicking the British and Irish Lions to victory in the first test against Australia. The 24-year-old Welsh fullback will go into the Lang Park clash on the crest of a wave after outstanding performances in the ...
June 20, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Sports
- Have you seen Stephen Colbert's tribute to his late mother?
Lorna Tuck Colbert, the mother of Stephen Colbert, was born on Chatsworth Avenue in Larchmont and died June 12 at the age of 92. Last night, at the start of his show, he offered a heartfelt tribute to his mother. "The fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut," Colbert tells his audience. What do you think of this ...
June 20, 2013 - The Journal News
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
I do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead,Obama said. "We've taken some major actions to date, and we will need further actions during this transition and subsequent months. Some of those choices will be difficult,...
- Rex Tillerson in The Associated Press
That's just the fact of the enormity of what we're dealing with,said Tillerson.
- Michael Bloomberg in TheHeart.Org
Bloomberg adds : "Bill and I want to highlight the enormity of this problem and catalyze a global movement of governments and civil society to stop the tobacco epidemic. We challenge governments to show leadership by implementing tobacco-control...