endowment : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n natural abilities or qualities
- n the capital that provides income for an institution
- n the act of endowing with a permanent source of income
his generous endowment of the laboratory came just in the nick of time
- The total value of Harvard's endowment plunged nearly 30 percent in the last fiscal year as the Ivy League institution's portfolio was battered by the worldwide recession.
- The subject of the flap is the re-creation of an endowment ceremony, a ritual affirmation of faith which is allowed only to be witnessed by church members in good standing.
- This just in from the W$J: Mohamed El-Erian, head of the company that manages Harvard University's $35 billion endowment, is resigning from that position to return to Pacific .
News & Articles
- Heinz Endowment funds McKeesport’s investment in youth
By Jennifer R. Vertullo, McKeesport Daily News With financial support from the Heinz Endowment, McKeesport is seeking a diverse “cast” of youth to invest in the community. The Select Committee on Crime ...
June 12, 2013 - The Mckeesport Daily News
- MILPITAS CALENDAR for the week of June 14, 2013
The Milpitas Community Educational Endowment is selling Oakland A's tickets to the July 27 game against the Anaheim Angels as a fundraiser. Tickets are $25 each for early bird prices through June 30 and $30 afterward (through July 19) for box seats.
June 12, 2013 - The Milpitas Post
- Arts endowment honors 9 National Heritage Fellows
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Endowment for the Arts has named nine new artists with National Heritage Fellowships, one of the highest honors for folk and traditional arts.
June 11, 2013 - The Daily Reflector
- Drew Gilpin Faust in International Herald Tribune
In an e-mail to faculty, staff, and students Monday, school President Drew Faust said Harvard needs to prepare for "unprecedented endowment losses and plan for a period of greater financial restraint."
- Stephen Harper in International Herald Tribune
What we've found so far is merely the tip of the iceberg,Harper said. "Managed properly, Canada's share of this incredible endowment will fuel the prosperity of our country for generations. And geo-mapping will pave the way for the...
- Dana Gioia in International Herald Tribune
Jazz is America's greatest single musical tradition,Gioia said in an interview, "and I don't see the purpose of having a National Endowment for the Arts unless jazz is one of the things that we support seriously."