- n the domain ruled by an emperor or empress; the region over which imperial dominion is exercised
- n a group of countries under a single authority
the British created a great empire
- n a monarchy with an emperor as head of state
- n a group of diverse companies under common ownership and run as a single organization
- n an eating apple that somewhat resembles a McIntosh; used as both an eating and a cooking apple
- If you want to humble an empire it makes sense to maim its cathedrals.
- For everyone but the poorest, it beckons as a magical empire of Mammon, a madcap consumer's paradise of immediate gratification and express delivery, of hot images and cool .
- The Russian, Ottoman, German, Austro-Hungarian and Chinese empires had passed their peaks 1998: Africa's nations are all independent.
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in International Herald Tribune
American empire in the world is reaching the end of its road, and its next rulers must limit their interference to their own borders,Ahmadinejad said.
- Rowan Williams in Gulf Daily News
It is one thing to take over a territory and even pour energy and resources into administrating it and normalising it,said Williams. "Rightly or wrongly, that's what the British Empire did - in India for example."