- n a closed plane curve resulting from the intersection of a circular cone and a plane cutting completely through it
the sums of the distances from the foci to any point on an ellipse is constant
- The plane of its ellipse is not the same as that of the moon's orbit but is nearly perpendicular to it.
- For more than four months it had drifted away from the earth, coasting down a long ellipse toward the orbit of Venus.
- In an ellipse around each carbon atom and its companion hydrogen atom races still another brace of binding electrons.
- Robert Groenewegen in Melbourne Herald Sun
Because that outer wing was so wide, once they chipped wide out there it was very easy for teams to flood back because you were so far away from the goals,Groenewegen said. "We thought we'd have a crack at making it a perfect ellipse - so...
- Richard Nixon in History News Network
Before he left, Nixon said: "I know you want to get the war over. Sure you came here to demonstrate and shout your slogans on the ellipse. That's all right. Just keep it peaceful. Have a good time in Washington, and don't go away bitter."
- David Fabricius in TIME
With your ellipse,Fabricius wrote Kepler, "you abolish the circularity and uniformity of the motions, which appears to me increasingly absurd the more profoundly I think about it."