dystopia : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n state in which the conditions of life are extremely bad as from deprivation or oppression or terror
- n a work of fiction describing an imaginary place where life is extremely bad because of deprivation or oppression or terror
- Now, for Christmas, he has another one-man dystopia drama.
- Alien reinvented the monster movie; Blade Runner set the style for science-fiction dystopia; Thelma Louise slapped lipstick and a scowl on the face of the buddy movie; Black Hawk .
- Travalino says her school's staging of Urinetown about a future dystopia where citizens have to pay to pee had an educational angle as well.
News & Articles
- Occupy the Multiplex: Class Warfare in This Summer’s Movies
Moviegoers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains. Doesn’t the movie theater seem a little Marx-ish lately? Tales of class struggle abound this summer. At the current multiplex, you might choose from The Purge (about a future dystopia where class warfare breaks out on the one night of the year when crime goes unpunished), The East (about an agent who infiltrates a group of ...
June 14, 2013 - Time Magazine
- Lamb - Wise Enough
Take a tour through a surreal industrialized dystopia in the latest video from legendary British trip hop duo. Read more...
June 13, 2013 - Gizmodo
- Some Call It Tyranny: An Atlantic Wire Pundit Guide
It's really hard to measure tyranny. There's a lot of room between a libertarian sea-steading utopia and the totalitarian dystopia of North Korea. But it's tough for pundits to decide just where to draw the line. To help you keep up with where everyone stands on tyranny, we've put together this helpful diagram.
June 12, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire
- Ann Cavoukian in Globe and Mail
The fear that Toronto is headed toward the British "dystopia of cameras on every corner" is unfounded, Ms. Cavoukian said.
- Naomi Klein in Sunday Herald
Instead of creating the best place in the world to do business,wrote Klein, "they have managed to create the worst not a corporate utopia but a ghoulish dystopia where going to a simple meeting can get you lynched, burned alive, or...