dragnet : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a system of coordinated measures for apprehending (criminals or other individuals)
caught in the police dragnet
- n a conical fishnet dragged through the water at great depths
- There is some evidence that black students are more likely to wind up in the dragnet.
- The Forest Service got some of Berg's cattle in the dragnet, auctioned them off and kept the proceeds.
- The dragnet's major find was Hugh Corey, 27, who was serving a life sentence for murder.
News & Articles
- If Senators Who Opposed The NSA Dragnet Knew About It, Why Didn't They Say Anything?
We now know that the NSA has a dragnet that collects data on virtually all Americans--not just foreigners, and not just people who can be reasonably suspected of being involved in terrorism or other illegal acts--thanks to the release of documents by The Guardian and The Washington Post.
June 13, 2013 - Forbes
- ACLU SUES TO BAR ‘DRAGNET’ COLLECTION OF PHONE RECORDS
WASHINGTON — The American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration over its “dragnet” collection of logs of domestic phone calls, contending that the once-secret program — whose existence was exposed by a former National Security Agency contractor last week — is illegal and asking a judge to both stop it and order the records purged.
June 12, 2013 - Boston Globe
- ACLU Sues Obama Administration Over NSA 'Dragnet' Surveillance Revealed in Historic Leaks
Following this past week's groundbreaking NSA leaks , the ACLU has now filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the agency's vast phone spying practices—a move that could pose an eventual Supreme Court challenge to the NSA's now exposed "dragnet" surveillance netw read more
June 11, 2013 - CommonDreams.org
- President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in International Herald Tribune
We are resolved to work with our strategic allies in the region, and with the United States, to tighten the dragnet and stop the movement of terrorists, their finances and their deadly material across the seas and borders,Arroyo said at a...
- J Harvie Wilkinson in Washington Post
We're not talking about a dragnet. We're not talking about a sweep. We're not talking about an indiscriminate roundup,Wilkinson said. "We're talking about two people in six years, with undisputed ties to al-Qaeda. Why does that kind of...
- Alberto Gonzales in TIME
Contrary to the speculation reflected in some media reporting,Gonzales writes, "the terrorist surveillance program is not a dragnet that sucks in all conversations and uses computer searches to pick out calls of interest. No communications...