doldrums : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a state of inactivity (in business or art etc)
- n a belt of calms and light winds between the northern and southern trade winds of the Atlantic and Pacific
- The long weekend of July 4 sent a vagrant wind through the rigging; aside from that, Variety reported unalleviated box-office doldrums.
- PTI's Pacific Board of Economists sees a growth surge for the region After spending 1982 in the doldrums, the economies of the nations bordering the Pacific are again.
- With manned space exploration in the doldrums, maybe what NASA needs is a new outfit for its astronauts.
News & Articles
- Searching For A Way Forward In The Tech Industry
As we roll into the summer doldrums, the tech industry is in disarray.
June 17, 2013 - Forbes
- Detroit Lions Minicamp: 3 Lingering Questions as the Lions March Towards Training Camp
COMMENTARY | With the Detroit Lions' minicamp completed, we can start working our way towards training camp. However, the doldrums of the actual offseason are staring us in the face. Therefore, it's time we determine what we should all be worrying about as we soldier on.
June 17, 2013 - Yahoo! Contributor Network via Yahoo! Sports
- Mattingly confident reeling Dodgers can rebound
PITTSBURGH — Don Mattingly remains confident the Dodgers are going to put together a winning streak and pull out of their doldrums. Los Angeles has been making its manager wait quite a while. Rookie Gerrit Cole improved to 2-0 and Pedro Alvarez homered off Zack Greinke to lead the Pittsburgh Pirates past the Dodgers 6-3 Sunday. It was the Dodgers' sixth loss and eight games and dropped them a ...
June 17, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Jim Doyle in FOXNews
You can't go the other direction,Doyle said. "I would hate to see us come out of economic doldrums two years from now and find that we have moved 25 years backwards."
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
Bill Clinton knows a little bit about trying to yank the economy out of the doldrums,Obama said. "It wouldn't make sense for me to want to edit his remarks."
- Ellery Hanley in ic Wales
Hanley, who has signed a three-year contract, said: "I was very impressed by the enthusiasm of the club. Money was not a factor. I was attracted by the different kind of challenge, taking the team from the doldrums."