- v lower someone's spirits; make downhearted
- v fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised
- s causing consternation
- The Senate select committee on intelligence activities last week filled out the dismaying record of Hoover's eagerness to curry favor with Presidents by using agents of the .
- The same trick that enabled scientists to clone Dolly could one day be used to clone a human being, a possibility Wilmut finds dismaying.
- Those are the words Anne Rice fans have been dying to hear about the Vampire Chronicles ever since her shocking and dismaying to many of his followers turn to religious .
News & Articles
- Dolphin Intimacy and Other Strange Tales of Human-Animal Interactions
In his new book, Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America, journalist Jon Mooallem uses the polar bear, the whooping crane, and a species of butterfly to tell the story of our relationship with wild animals. Mooallem is as fascinated by the dedicated, eccentric humans who fight to protect these animals as he is by the beasts ...
June 25, 2013 - Wired News
- Ban Ki-moon in FOXNews
Ban said anti-Semitism "remains a scourge" and that "Islamaphobia has emerged as a new term for an old and terrible form of prejudice. And other kinds of racism and discrimination show a dismaying persistence."
- Gerard E. Lynch in BusinessWeek
I speak for all the executive producers here at `Grey's Anatomy' when I say that Isaiah Washington's use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere, but anyone who has ever... Shonda Rhimes http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shonda_Rhimes&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGrFQdz9zrkxwFdlVdcto_1wVRldA San Jose Mercury News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/16536601.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGVXh1duuU00TjZ0f4lzJgbAcsNng Jan 24, 2007
28604 37452 dismaying It is perhaps dismaying that participants in a fraudulent scheme who may even have committed criminal acts are not answerable in damages to the victims of the fraud," Lynch wrote in an opinion upheld two months ago by the 2nd US Circuit Court...