- v lower someone's spirits; make downhearted
- v fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised
- s struck with fear, dread, or consternation
- A youthful idealist, she too is dismayed by the petty posturing of the gifted, privileged adults around her; so dismayed, in fact, that she intends to commit suicide by her 13th .
- But much of the publishing industry was dismayed at missing the chance to hitch their latest books and their profits to Oprah's train.
- Then there was only the dismayed crying of a child beginning to realize that her mother was not going to make everything all right.
News & Articles
- Google, Microsoft and Facebook want Department of Justice to release records of NSA data requests
While millions of Americans were dismayed to hear about the National Security Agency’s secret PRISM program that reportedly tracked Internet data, the tech giants that were named in the documents have read more
June 12, 2013 - TheCelebrityCafe.com
- George Takei's Facebook Ghostwriter Apologizes
Hip, hilarious and oh-so-topical, George Takei has one of the most popular and beloved Facebook feeds on the social web. His compassion and humor have helped him smoothly reincarnate himself as a modern Internet sensation after starring as Hikaru Sulu on the 1960s Star Trek TV series That's why many of his loyal fans were dismayed to learn last week that their online hero is not, in fact, the ...
June 12, 2013 - Mashable
- Soccer-Pele asks Brazilians not to boo national team
By Andrew Downie SAO PAULO, June 11 (Reuters) - Soccer great Pele appealed to Brazil's notoriously fickle fans on Tuesday to get behind their team during the upcoming Confederations Cup. The only player to win the World Cup three times was dismayed by recent games in which home fans barracked Brazil's players and their manager Luiz Felipe Scolari. "This is a team that is under construction, this ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Sports
- Lindsey Graham in The Associated Press
Graham, RS.C., described himself as "dismayed, angry and upset. It was an uninformed, unnecessary, unwise, untimely comment."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in 940 News
I was making the simple point that given our history, the length of this year's primary contest is nothing unusual,Clinton wrote. "But I was deeply dismayed and disturbed that my comment would be construed in a way that flies in the face...
- Tony Woodley in Wall Street Journal
Passengers and investors alike will be dismayed that British Airways management rejected an approach by the union over the weekend, after their offer had been comprehensively turned down by their own employees,Unite Joint General Secretaries...