disable : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v make unable to perform a certain action
disable this command on your computer
- v injure permanently
He was disabled in a car accident
- When it was clear there were no circuit breakers to disable the stabilizer, the crew requested permission to make an emergency landing at Los Angeles International Airport.
- The government did disable the Yongbyon reactor, its key source of nuclear fuel, and blew up its cooling tower with the world's cameras rolling in June.
- In a reference to the Ben-Hur chariot race, they brandish hubcap spear hooks to disable their opponent's vehicle.
News & Articles
- Crusade for smartphone 'kill switch' heats up, but would it work?
Law enforcement officials are pushing smartphone manufacturers to develop a kill switch to disable stolen phones. They see it as a way to stem rampant smartphone theft.
June 14, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- U.S. officials push cellphone makers to add theft deterrents
By Karen Freifeld NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. state and city officials are banding together to pressure cellphone makers to adopt technology, including a "kill switch" to disable stolen phones, that would deter rampant theft of the devices. Authorities have criticized cellphone carriers and handset makers for their perceived unwillingness to make changes to technology to combat the problem. ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Officials Want 'Kill Switch' on Smartphones to Deter Theft
A group of the nation's prosecutors and law-enforcement officials said the ability to disable a stolen mobile device will deter theft.
June 13, 2013 - FOX Business
- Bobby Cox in ESPN
We're going to disable him. Give him a breather,manager Bobby Cox said after a 10-5 loss to the Cubs. "See if his elbow can get better. ...... It was hurting him like the dickens."
- Song Min-soon in International Herald Tribune
The process to disable the North's nuclear facilities is under way,South Korean Foreign Minister Song Min-soon said. "The process is going well."
- Paul Watson in The Age
We have them on the run,ship captain Paul Watson said in statement. "We will hound these poachers for as long as we can and when we catch up with them we will disable their equipment and do everything physically possible short of...