- n an official engaged in international negotiations
- Two years later, she wed the fifth Duke of Talleyrand, a descendant of the wily French diplomatist whose machinations shaped post-Napoleonic Europe, lived with him for 29 years .
- Able diplomatist that he is, His Holiness had foreseen that the Allies would fight.
- He was ruddy, stalwart Sir Francis Edward Younghusband, 66, of Westerham, Kent, native of India, veteran army officer and diplomatist, treaty-maker with Tibet (1904), committee .
- George Kennan in BBC News
Cold war historian John Gaddis, who is writing a biography of Mr Kennan said: "He'll be remembered as a diplomatist and a grand strategist."
- John Lewis Gaddis in New York Times
He'll be remembered as a diplomatist and a grand strategist,said John Lewis Gaddis, a leading historian of the cold war, who is preparing a biography of Mr. Kennan. "But he saw himself as a literary figure. He would have loved to have been...