diplomat : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an official engaged in international negotiations
- n a person who deals tactfully with others
- What qualities make a successful diplomat? Says Machiavelli: he must have "little regard for good faith and be able, by astuteness, to confuse men's brains and ultimately overcome.
- Miss Nadeja Stancioff, recently appointed First Secretary of the Bulgarian Legation in Washington, reputed to be Europe's only lady-diplomat, resigned as a protest over the death .
- China understands well, this diplomat says, that the world is carefully gauging how it responds to the unrest.
News & Articles
- Russia: G-8 declaration won't mention Assad's fate
A senior Russian diplomat says the G-8 summit's joint statement on ending the Syrian civil war will not mention whether Bashar Assad must step down from power as part of any peace settlement.
June 18, 2013 - Fox News
- Vatican diplomat, hotel director named to body overseeing Vatican bank
VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Francis has approved the appointment of the new interim prelate of the Vatican bank, Msgr. Battista Mario Ricca, a Vatican diplomat who has been director of the guesthouse where the pope is living.
June 17, 2013 - Catholic News Service
- U.S. Diplomat Reflects On A Life Lived In Other Lands
Weekend Edition Sunday host Rachel Martin speaks to former U.S. ambassador Ryan Crocker for the Sunday Conversation as he reflects on his career and the specific dangers of the life of an American diplomat in the Muslim world.
June 16, 2013 - NPR
- Michael Mukasey in Guardian Unlimited
The Bybee memo, to paraphrase a French diplomat, was worse than a sin, it was a mistake. It was unnecessary,Mukasey told the Senate Judiciary Committee under questioning by Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.
- Manouchehr Mottaki in ABC News
The new negotiation process (and) the participation of a US diplomat look positive from the outset, but we hope that is reflected in the talks,Mottaki told a joint news conference with Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan.
- Barack Obama in CQPolitics.com
In announcing the appointment, Obama said that "with his breadth and depth of experience in public life, Gov. Richardson is uniquely suited for this role as a leading economic diplomat for America."