dioxide : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an oxide containing two atoms of oxygen in the molecule
- In the meantime, the global population will increase by 3 billion, the demand for higher standards of living will not abate, and carbon dioxide will be emitted at an increasing pace.
- There is a difference, however, between the problems of carbon dioxide emissions and those of acid rain or smog.
- Normally, plants neutralize nitrogen dioxide, which they recognize as harmful.
News & Articles
- Studying Carbon Dioxide Absorption In Antarctic Seas
Georgia Institute of Technology The seas around Antarctica can, at times, resemble a garden. Large-scale experiments where scientists spray iron into the waters, literally fertilizing phytoplankton, have created huge man-made algal blooms. Such geoengineering experiments produce diatoms , which pull carbon dioxide out of the air. Experts argue that this practice can help offset Earth’s rising ...
June 13, 2013 - redOrbit
- Carbon dioxide tank explodes on APG, startling residents in Harford, Cecil
An Aberdeen Proving Ground carbon dioxide tank exploded Monday night, damaging three buildings on the post and creating a blast that was heard and felt by residents several miles away.
June 12, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Exporting Carbon Dioxide in China
Nobody likes carbon dioxide pollution. So if you are rich enough you send it elsewhere. Just as wealthy nations like the United States are outsourcing their carbon dioxide emissions to China, rich coastal provinces in that country are outsourcing emissions to poorer provinces in the interior, according to UC Irvine climate change researcher Steve Davis and colleagues. The findings, to be ...
June 11, 2013 - Environmental News Network
- Susan Solomon in USA Today
People have imagined that if we stopped emitting carbon dioxide the climate would go back to normal in 100 years, 200 years; that's not true,climate researcher Susan Solomon said in a teleconference.
- Ken Livingstone in E/The Environmental Magazine
The carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from the most high-powered 4x4s and sports cars can be up to four times as great as the least-polluting cars,London's Mayor Ken Livingstone told reporters.
- Al Gore in Washington Post
Up until now, what has not been asked seriously on a systematic basis is, is there some way that some of that extra carbon dioxide may be scavenged effectively out of the atmosphere? And no one knows the answer to that,Gore said.