- n lack of self-confidence
- Characteristics: Modesty, taciturnity, diffidence (women make him blush), singleness of purpose, courage, occasional curtness, phlegm.
- The fact is, Obama may be blowing a major opportunity for reform with his domestic-policy diffidence.
- In other words, nuance surfing and windsurfing and Kerry's diffidence about his faith were as damaging to Democrats as homosexuality and abortion.
News & Articles
- Britten's Escape
Neil Pride, reply by Leo Carey To the Editors : With some diffidence as just “an interested reader” and the hope that Britten “scholars” will comment on Leo Carey’s interesting article [“The Battle of Britten,” NYR , August 15], I feel the author’s linking a supposed “retreat” by Britten following the premiere of Gloriana in 1953 with the setting up of the English Opera Group and the Aldeburgh ...
Oct. 3, 2013 - New York Review of Books
- Gul Panag in Times of India
Well, there was never any nervousness or diffidence even when I did my first take. I was pretty sure of what I wanted to do. And then, my goals are different,says Gul.
- Beppe Severgnini in Boston Globe (registration)
Italians have a deep-rooted wariness and diffidence toward people in power,said Severgnini, author of "The Italian Mind," a tongue-in-cheek look at the country's mores.
- Brendan Nelson in NEWS.com.au
The only thing which is holding back India's coherent anti-piracy policy is its diffidence. We would have been undertaking certain things permissible under law. India, which has the highest politico-military framework, has not been doing... Bhaskar http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaskar&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFVPCDUJV-Tq4X6CHl-plU9VPCLpA Thaindian.com (blog) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/lack-of-consensus-holding-back-anti-piracy-policy-experts_100121235.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFWjrb-OSbtnKDfvdxFEzLn0h4Qxg Nov 19, 2008
27588 36500 diffident Once that's shown to us ...... everybody has an opportunity to discuss it, rather than just some sort of surprise show on Wednesday," Dr Nelson said. "Whether you're an enthusiastic embracer of an apology or you're a bit diffident about it,...