- n a framework erected over an oil well to allow drill tubes to be raised and lowered
- n a simple crane having lifting tackle slung from a boom
- McCain speaks to reporters and pushes his energy proposals after touring an oil derrick near Bakersfield, California.
- Getting a nod of assent from the driller, Eskimo Roughneck Elijah Allen, 22, darted to the derrick ladder and scampered up the frosted rungs.
- He loved the thrill of finding a gusher, the throaty roar and sudden spout of oil through the derrick.
- Alvin Gentry in The Associated Press
You can never have too much size,Gentry said. "You saw that in the Lakers series. We think both of those kids have an opportunity to turn into special players. The thing with Gani is he was the leading rebounder playing alongside (Derrick)...
- Brandon Jacobs in International Herald Tribune
It would mean a lot to us,Jacobs said Tuesday before the Giants held a jog-through workout. "Derrick works hard and he deserves it. He has been under the radar a lot, so if he can get this done and get these 52 yards and make that happen...