- v lower someone's spirits; make downhearted
- v lower (prices or markets)
- v cause to drop or sink
- v press down
- v lessen the activity or force of
- a causing sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy
the economic outlook is depressing
- A British researcher thinks January holds the saddest day of the year, but Hitwise says November is more depressing.
- For most environmentalists, the answer to that depressing litany is to keep pushing the same message harder: cut carbon and cut it now.
- Conservationists are facing the depressing possibility that all the effort of the past several decades to save endangered species controlling poaching, creating wildlife .
News & Articles
- New 'Elysium' Trailer Shows a Depressing Future Earth
A new trailer for Neill Blomkamp's "Elysium" is out, revealing many new details about the movie's plot and setting In the movie, set in 2154, humanity is divided into two castes: the rich and privileged live on paradise-like Elysium, while the poor toil away in a dark, depressing future Earth The first theatrical trailer focused on showing us the beautiful world of Elysium and a many action ...
June 14, 2013 - Mashable
- Draft Preview: If Hollinger Had Made the Picks
A depressing realization of this offseason has been that John Hollinger's annual “draft rater” column — one of my favorite seasonal NBA reads — is no more. Hollinger is still running draft prospects through his rating system, of course.… [ Read more ] [ Subscribe to the comments on this story ]
June 13, 2013 - The Memphis Flyer
- Microsoft and Best Buy team up to open mini-stores
Microsoft and Best Buy announced on Thursday that they're teaming up to open 600 Windows Stores this summer. The Windows Stores will replace the computer sections of certain Best Buys, and might help both companies move past a depressing fiscal quarter.
June 13, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Barack Obama in Battle Creek Enquirer
...about Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez's admission that he used performance enhancing substances years ago while playing for the Texas Rangers, Obama said, "I think it's depressing news on top of what's been a flurry of depressing items when...
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn in Bangkok Post
Continued de-leveraging by world financial institutions, combined with a collapse in consumer and business confidence is depressing domestic demand across the world,Strauss-Kahn said.
- Jamie McMurray in International Herald Tribune
With the economy the way it is and the amount of layoffs - it's almost depressing right now to turn the news on,second-place finisher McMurray said. "I get up at 6 am, I turn the news on and headline is how many people are getting laid off...