- n a person who relies on another person for support (especially financial support)
- a relying on or requiring a person or thing for support, supply, or what is needed
dependent on moisture
- s contingent on something else
- a (of a clause) unable to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence
a subordinate (or dependent) clause functions as a noun or adjective or adverb within a sentence
- s held from above
- s being under the power or sovereignty of another or others
a dependent prince
- s addicted to a drug
- But the dependent-care credit is aimed at helping middle-class working parents afford the cost of daily child care, not at helping pay for expensive retreats.
- The amount of dependent-care credit you have available gets reduced by the amount you put in a dependent-care account so if you fund the account with the full $5,000, you .
- Its flotation was entirely dependent on whether the bilge pump could keep up with the leakage.
News & Articles
- Microsoft to bring 'Age of Empires' to Apple, Android phones
By Malathi Nayak and Tim Kelly SAN FRANCISCO/TOKYO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp will offer its popular "Age of Empires" game for Apple Inc's iPhone and other smartphones through a tie-up with Japan's KLab Inc, seeking to capture growth in a booming mobile game market. Microsoft's gaming business is dependent primarily on its Xbox franchise but mobile devices have been eating into the gaming ...
June 25, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Singapore Offsets Bankers as Vacancies Fall: Real Estate
Singapore’s office landlords, long dependent on banks, are broadening their tenant base to soak up empty space as the commercial property market inches toward recovery after a three-year slump in rents.
June 24, 2013 - Bloomberg
- When It Might Actually Make Sense to Take Social Security Early
By Laurence Kotlikoff It can make sense to start collecting Social Security before age 70 if there are dependent children who can benefit. Photo by Elizabeth Shell. Larry Kotlikoff's Social Security original 34 "secrets" , his additional secrets , his Social Security "mistakes" and his Social Security gotchas have prompted so many of you to write in that we now feature "Ask Larry" every Monday ...
June 24, 2013 - The Online NewsHour
- President Bush in CNN
It's wrong for congressional leaders to make Judge Mukasey's confirmation dependent on his willingness to go on the record about the details of a classified program he has not been briefed on,Bush said. "If the Senate Judiciary Committee...
- Barack Obama in NTV
Barack Obama said, "Today, the Senate chose to move America forward, towards that clean energy economy - not backward to the same failed policies that have left our nation increasingly dependent on foreign oil."
- Richard Levin in guardian.co.uk
In the release, Richard Levin, president of Yale, said: "The appointment of Mr Blair provides a tremendous opportunity for our students and our community. As the world continues to become increasingly inter-dependent, it is essential that we explore...