- n abnormal loss of mineral salts (especially from bone)
- n the removal of minerals and mineral salts from a liquid (especially from water)
- The Soviet cosmonauts suffered such bone demineralization on their flights, and patients confined to bed for as little as three days have been known to suffer sharp losses of .
- This tends to counter a side effect of one type of immunosuppressive drug: demineralization of the bones.
- Overdoses of vitamin D can produce demineralization of bone, resulting in multiple fractures after minimal trauma.