- a boldly resisting authority or an opposing force
brought up to be aggressive and defiant
a defiant attitude
- The title song sets a defiant tone ("Wouldn't kiss all the ass that they told me to") that peaks in the CD's first single, the power-pop Not Ready to Make Nice.
- The defiant monks of Burma became an online sensation.
- defiant hangings even as commonwealth ministers were meeting, the military regime executed nine dissidents.
News & Articles
- Turkish police crack down on revival of protests
ISTANBUL (AP) — Turkish riot police on Sunday sprayed tear gas and water cannons at demonstrators who remained defiant after authorities evicted activists from an Istanbul park, making clear they are taking a hardline against attempts to rekindle protests that have shaken the country.
June 16, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Amid Gitmo strike, ex-detainee tells of force-feed
GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) — For more than three months, the U.S. military has faced off with defiant prisoners on a hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay, strapping down as many as 44 each day to feed them a liquid nutrient mix through a nasal tube to prevent them from starving to death.
June 15, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Israel's PM gives defiant speech at Auschwitz
In a defiant speech from the place that symbolizes the suffering of Jews during World War II, Israel's prime minister warned on Thursday that the Jewish state will do everything to prevent another Holocaust and to defend itself against any threat.
June 13, 2013 - Fox News
- President Bush in Guardian Unlimited
The NRA will work to ensure this constitutional victory is not transformed into a practical defeat by activist judges, defiant city councils, or cynical politicians who seek to pervert, reverse, or nullify the Supreme Court's McDonald decision... Wayne LaPierre http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_LaPierre&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHOhonU9lsFOH1WwNs1nZIWCw6rvg CBS News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20009049-503544.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNH1ExAh0FJUQLgzTe-AL8ZP-4a-jQ Jun 28, 2010
25820 34641 defiant Iran's leaders continue to be defiant as to the demands of the free world," Bush said. "My view is that we need to strengthen our sanction regime."
- James W. Nye in The Miami Herald
Sir, what a magnificent spectacle of retributive justice is witnessed here today,Nye said. "In the place of that proud, defiant man, who marched out to trample under foot the Constitution and the laws of the country he had sworn to...