- v be unbearably loud
- v make or render deaf
- v make soundproof
- s caused to hear poorly or not at all
- Full of hatred for dictatorship, pious faith in democracy, Valtin said that he had been deafened by the blow of a Nazi whip, would never "fall alive again into the hands of Hitler .
- A newsman was deafened, temporarily at least, when struck on the ear by a cantaloupe.
- The powerful explosion that followed temporarily deafened Kaddar, tore a hole in the desk, and fatally wounded Shachori in the stomach and chest.
News & Articles
- Researchers Say Hearing Loss from IEDs May Be Treatable
Victims of improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, in war zones often suffer hearing loss, but a new study suggests that the deafness may not be permanent. The findings suggest that the inner ear structures that are damaged in such roadside bomb blasts may recover with the proper treatment. Soldiers who survive the explosion of a roadside bomb, are usually deafened in addition to sustaining other ...
July 2, 2013 - Voice of America
- Andy Green in International Herald Tribune
One of our senior doctors told me: 'The driver of this car is going to cooked, vibrated, acoustically deafened, subjected to enormous G-forces which will both disorientate and threaten to make him black out,'Green said. "To put that in...
- Raden Ajeng Kartini in USA Today
There was a billow of smoke and then a massive bang and my ears were deafened,said Kartini, a 32-year-old Christian woman who was hospitalized with shrapnel wounds to her chest and feet.
- Ann Cryer in Independent
Under the Ontario Human Rights Code, everyone has the right to equal treatment with regard to services. I am pleased that this settlement will enable the deaf, deafened and profoundly hard of hearing communities to fully enjoy theatre-going... Barbara Hall http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Hall&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHftleS83JIkwn_IMNDBipzfU236g Canada NewsWire (press release) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2007/24/c8973.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE1ehSzDEBb1n6ttSu5iS1jYNml4Q Jul 24, 2007
25179 34052 deafness I have encountered cases of blindness and deafness," Mrs Cryer added. "There was one poor girl who had to have an oxygen tank on her back and breathe from a hole in the front of her neck. The parents were warned they should not have any more...