- n a person who has been converted to another religious or political belief
- v change from one system to another or to a new plan or policy
We converted from 220 to 110 Volt
- v change the nature, purpose, or function of something
convert lead into gold
convert hotels into jails
convert slaves to laborers
- v change religious beliefs, or adopt a religious belief
She converted to Buddhism
- v exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category
Could you convert my dollars into pounds?
convert centimeters into inches
convert holdings into shares
- v cause to adopt a new or different faith
The missionaries converted the Indian population
- v score an extra point or points after touchdown by kicking the ball through the uprights or advancing the ball into the end zone
Smith converted and his team won
- v complete successfully
- v score (a spare)
- v make (someone) agree, understand, or realize the truth or validity of something
- v exchange a penalty for a less severe one
- v change in nature, purpose, or function; undergo a chemical change
The substance converts to an acid
- Jewry does not seek converts.
- That may soon change, now that Danish researchers have found a way to convert other blood types to O with the help of some bacteria.
- Florida's latest domestic spectacle concerns a 17-year-old runaway from Ohio, Rifqa Bary, who claims that her Muslim parents will kill her for converting to Christianity.
- Vicente del Bosque in The Canadian Press
He's at the top of his form. He's first to the ball every time,coach Vicente del Bosque said. "Villa had that hunger for goal that allowed him to convert."
- John McCain in TIME
In other words, Barack Obama's tax plan would convert the IRS into a giant welfare agency, redistributing massive amounts of wealth at the direction of politicians in Washington,McCain said in the radio address.
- Gonzalo Higuain in The Canadian Press
I knew I was getting chances but I needed to convert them,he said. "I'm very happy to score the goals, but we have to think of the team as a whole."