compound : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
- n (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- n an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
- v make more intense, stronger, or more marked
- v put or add together
- v calculate principal and interest
- v create by mixing or combining
- v combine so as to form a whole; mix
compound the ingredients
- a composed of more than one part
compound leaves are composed of several lobes
compound flower heads
- s consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts
soap is a compound substance
housetop is a compound word
a blackberry is a compound fruit
- s composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony
- Imagine a pill, derived from a compound found in something as benign as red wine, that treated the most feared and debilitating diseases of aging: illnesses like diabetes .
- As he stood beneath a tent on the expansive Bon Jovi compound, which resembled an Italian villa, Mr.
- The American units seemed to be making forays from the compound and taking control of areas farther around it and to the north, the heart of the Iraqi government area.
- Joel Fitzgibbon in Sydney Morning Herald
Mr Fitzgibbon said: "They were in a compound I've had described to me as a walled compound, which I'm sure is used for a variety of purposes. Our people were patrolling far away from our main base in Tarin Kowt, near one of our forward operating...
- Al Skinner in ABC News
We had to have the discipline in order to execute what it is we needed to do,Boston College coach Al Skinner said. "There were going to be breakdowns and there were, but guys were able to refocus and not compound those mistakes."
- Sean McCormack in Voice of America
The message was very clear, that the situation was intolerable, that they needed to act immediately to provide adequate security forces so that our embassy compound and our personnel were not under attack,said Sean McCormack. "He made it...