- n the social process whereby societies achieve an advanced stage of development and organization
- n a particular society at a particular time and place
- n a society in an advanced state of social development (e.g., with complex legal and political and religious organizations)
- n the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste
News & Articles
- Manchester United vs. Cardiff City: Final score 2-0, van Persie inspires United to win upon return
Forget Juan Mata -- it was the return of Robin van Persie that set Manchester United on course for three points against Cardiff City. I saw it. With my own eyes. I was there, I saw the earth on fire. It didn't kill me, although I sometimes wish it had. The world would never be the same again. Its buildings ruined, its institutions crumbling, civilisation rendered asunder and humanity on the ...
Jan. 28, 2014 - SB Nation
- Al Gore in Hindu
We, the human species, are confronting a planetary emergency, a threat to the survival of our civilisation that is gathering ominous and destructive potential even as we gather here,Mr. Gore said in prepared remarks released before his...
- Eric Schmidt in Telegraph.co.uk
The history of the beginning of - literally - civilisation is made right here and is preserved here in this museum,Mr Schmidt said at a ceremony attended by Iraqi officials.
- Nouri al-Maliki in The Australian
It was a dark age that Iraq passed through,Mr Maliki said at a dedication ceremony after walking along a red carpet into the museum. "This spot of civilisation has had its share of destruction."