burp : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a reflex that expels gas noisily from the stomach through the mouth
- v expel gas from the stomach
In China it is polite to burp at the table
- She wished she were her oldest sister, the firstborn, the star of the family: smart, extroverted, unafraid to greet their hated stepmother with an insolent burp.
- On Havana street corners, groups of prancing militiamen fired their Czech burp guns into the air, and Jeeps draped with hot-eyed youths careened along the avenues.
- Sparking up tired oilfieldsCarbon dioxide is a clear gas that puts the bubbles in pop and beer and makes drinkers burp.
News & Articles
- “Giving Up the Ghost” by Mary Logue
So far: A small furry visitor invades Wendy’s ghostly solitude. Gary patted me on the back as if he was trying to burp me.
June 12, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Wilmette school boasts two dozen sets of twins
Like a lot of kids, the two brothers from northern Illinois spent hours marveling at the weird and the wonderful in the Guinness Book of World Records -- and wondering what they could do to get in it.Their friends tried endless pogo stick jumps. One practiced in the shower for an attempt at the loudest burp.Then, Luke and Ryan Novosel, 11-year-old twins from Wilmette, began counting up all the ...
June 10, 2013 - Daily Herald
- Illinois school boasts 24 sets of twins
WILMETTE, Ill. -- Like a lot of kids, the two brothers from northern Illinois spent hours marveling at the weird and the wonderful in the Guinness Book of World Records -- and wondering what they could do to get in it. Their friends tried endless pogo stick jumps. One practiced in the shower for an attempt at the loudest burp.
June 10, 2013 - The Arizona Republic
- Justin Timberlake in FOXNews
The only award that means more than the world to me is the prestigious burp award,Timberlake joked. "I don't think there is a higher honor at the Kids Choice Awards, and I'm pretty proud that I'm the big burp champion of all time."
- Carrie Underwood in WXYZ
Underwood tells Cosmopolitan magazine, "I don't consider myself sexy...... I'm kind of a nervous person in general." "I'm socially awkward. I'm not tall and sensuous. I usually wear sweats everywhere I go. Oh, and I burp a lot!"
- Robert Mugabe in National Post
Mr. Mugabe, Zimbabwe's veteran President, said, "When these capitalist gods of carbon burp and belch their dangerous emissions, it's we, the lesser mortals of the developing sphere, who gasp and sink and eventually die."