- r without hope
he wondered bleakly
- The album was a musically complex record with bleakly humorous lyrics that broke from contemporary pop conventions.
- Only India's Nehru stated bleakly: "I am against nuclear tests anywhere.
- A bleakly funny critique of struggling postindustrial American cities; a novelistic, street-smart social drama; a passionate, un-p.
News & Articles
- Brooklyn's Franklin Avenue is suddenly delicious
Until recently, the main thoroughfares of Crown Heights — which stretched between quiet blocks of historic brownstones — were bleakly dotted with discount stores and shuttered retail spaces. But today, the area — particularly Franklin Avenue and the surrounding streets, which are serviced by the A, C, 2, 3, 4 and 5 subway...
June 30, 2013 - New York Post
- Robert Byrd in Wall Street Journal
As I look now at his desk, draped with black cloth and covered with flowers, I still have difficulty believing that he is gone,said Mr. Byrd. "My ebullient, Irish-to-the-core friend has departed this life forever. How bleakly somber. How...
- Carol Ann Duffy in Telegraph.co.uk
Duffy noted in the introduction: "Some poets, like Denise Levertov, find an unbearable irony between the Christmas message of peace and love to all men and the horror of War. Her In California During the Gulf War remains bleakly relevant."
- Janet Maslin in New York Times
Writing in The Times in 1987, Janet Maslin called it a "bleakly handsome, extremely well-acted film," but also "downbeat and actionless."