- n extortion of money by threats to divulge discrediting information
- v exert pressure on someone through threats
- v obtain through threats
- Ian Strachan has been named as one of the men accused of attempting to blackmail an unidentified member of the royal family.
- What royal family member is targeted by an alleged blackmail plot? And can the UK press cover it without naming names?.
- In two cases, he confessed, he used blackmail to extract money.
News & Articles
- The National Enquirer has a backstory worthy of the National Enquirer
The National Enquirer, like the salacious stories it publishes, has a juicy backstory—one filled with scandal and blackmail. Some of that dark history is revealed by John Connolly in next month's issue of DuJour magazine. It delves into the alleged mob ties of the tabloid's former owner, Gene Pope Jr., who acquired the then-New York [...]
June 13, 2013 - The Lookout via Yahoo! News
- Marrero man booked with taking sexually explicit photos of, extorting 12-year-old girl
Authorities say a Marrero man carried on explicit web chats with a 12-year-old Connecticut girl and tried to blackmail her into taking things a few steps further. Emanuel Tran, 23, is accused of threatening to send photos of the girl...
June 13, 2013 - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Pope Francis Admits 'Gay Lobby' at Work at Vatican
The leader of the Roman Catholic Church acknowledged to a private audience that a blackmail scheme targeting gay priests — amid other corruption — exists within the Vatican. read more
June 12, 2013 - The Advocate
- President Bush in Voice of America
Russia's not our enemy,said President Bush. "The enemy of a free society such as ours would be a radical or extremist or rogue regime trying to blackmail the free world in order promote its ideological objectives. And so my attitude on...
- Angela Merkel in Reuters AlertNet
We will not react to demands from the Taliban,Merkel said in an interview with Germany's ARD public television when asked if she would consider bringing German troops home. "We will not give in to blackmail, that would be dangerous."
- Darrell Hair in Telegraph.co.uk
Rather than tolerate Russia's nuclear blackmail or cyber attacks, western nations should make clear that the solidarity of NATO, from the Baltic to the Black Sea, is indivisible and that the organization's doors remain open to all democracies... John McCain http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEhauRSvpu74c5JI21AhXVu-x_kmQ Bloomberg http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news%3Fpid%3D20601070%26sid%3DaQ3S1RhLFsKc%26refer%3Dhome&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFKtBs2lgjJt3jkBRc1kNK3dkP7YA Mar 26, 2008
10478 14726 blackmailer Robert Griffiths, QC, for Hair, asked him: You have been described as officious, arrogant, over-bearing, a blackmailer and having 'form' - were any of these given as a reason by the ICC for not allocating you matches on the elite panel?"