- v signal with the hands or nod
- v appear inviting
The shop window decorations beckoned
- v summon with a wave, nod, or some other gesture
- Instead, visitors to the Heera Mandi are here for cheap sex, for this is the city's red-light area, and gaudily dressed prostitutes beckon from beneath the battered wooden archways .
- HEAT ON THE MOB Pursued by prosecutors and stripped of political allies, old bosses are landing behind bars, but new horizons always beckon to organized crime.
- She'd beckon him over, and off they'd go .
News & Articles
- Exhibit shows off museum's diverse collection of Civil War treasures
Friday June 14, 2013 MARK E. RONDEAU County News Editor BENNINGTON --A generous portion of the Civil War treasures of the Bennington Museum are offered in two compact and striking displays under the exhibition heading "Southwestern Vermont and the Civil War." Fascinating objects and documents from another era beckon, but not so much the guns and swords one might expect --
June 14, 2013 - Bennington Banner
- A quiet start — on purpose — at Oswego PrairieFest this weekend
The bells and whistles and lights were off, but the carnival at PrairieFest in Oswego was definitely on come Thursday afternoon. For the first time, the Me Too event at PrairieFest kicked off the weekend-long celebration. The new, inclusive event featured all the same carnival rides and games that typically beckon to children, but were all adapted to children who are not typically able to enjoy ...
June 13, 2013 - The Beacon News
- Barack Obama in World Magazine
It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose -His purpose,Obama said.
- Thabo Mbeki in Dispatch Online
Every day, and during every hour of our time beyond sleep, the demons embedded in our society, that stalk us at every minute, seem always to beckon each one of us towards a realisable dream and nightmare,Mbeki said.
- Marty Stuart in Country Standard Time
Opry member Marty Stuart said, "I was raised in Mississippi, where we were immersed in the blues, rock n' roll, and jazz, but it was the country music I heard that touched my heart. The sounds beaming from that 650 WSM signal seemed to beckon me to...