- n the historic period from about 1600 until 1750 when the baroque style of art, architecture, and music flourished in Europe
- n elaborate and extensive ornamentation in decorative art and architecture that flourished in Europe in the 17th century
- s having elaborate symmetrical ornamentation
the building...frantically baroque"-William Dean Howells
- a of or relating to or characteristic of the elaborately ornamented style of architecture, art, and music popular in Europe between 1600 and 1750
- The craftsmen of the baroque preferred a curve to a straight line and a contorted curve to a plain one.
- The overwhelming impression conveyed by the great baroque masters of the 17th century, from Caravaggio to Rubens, is their delight in optical illusions, soaring space, voluptuous .
- What the Caesars left undone in Rome, one baroque genius, Gian Loren zo Bernini, tried in the 17th century to finish singlehanded.
News & Articles
- Piano students receive membership in the National Fraternity of Student Musicians
Thirteen local piano students auditioned in the presence of a professional adjudicator on May 10. Students were judged on their presentation of Baroque, Classic, Romantic and Contemporary works. ...
June 12, 2013 - Sampson Independent
- NY's The Dig Plays 502 With Stellar Local Support
One of the great things about a venue like 502 Bar is that, while it is big enough to attract many national touring bands, it still maintains ties to the local indie music scene. Why, you might ask, is that such a benefit? Let me explain by way of example. The Dig On Friday night, the New York baroque-pop-rockers will be headlining just 10 days after the release of their superb Tired Hearts ...
June 12, 2013 - San Antonio Current
- Baroque cooking event at library
Before tomatoes or peppers, gelato or pizza, there was still cooking in Italy. Baroque style.
June 10, 2013 - The Stockton Record
- Daniel Barenboim in International Herald Tribune
A baroque music concert in a Roman Catholic church in Gaza - as we all know - has nothing to do with security and would bring so much joy to people who live there in great difficulty,said Barenboim, who for years has been critical of Israel...
- Libby Purves in The Guardian
The BBC can do quality,said Purves. "For all its failures of nerve and taste, for all the baroque absurdity of its management systems and its obsession with compliance, the BBC has some stonkingly good in-house producers and some canny...
- Franz Welser-Moest in AFP
A venue like Schoenbrunn and its baroque park is an extraordinary setting in which to show the world what the Vienna Philharmonic, the city of Vienna and the classical music is all about,said Welser-Moest.