banner : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n long strip of cloth or paper used for decoration or advertising
- n a newspaper headline that runs across the full page
- n any distinctive flag
- s unusually good; outstanding
a banner year for the company
- The White House dance over that 'Mission Accomplished' banner may portend a broader credibility problem.
- Was it a pro-drug banner or just a silly joke? Either way, the Supreme Court says it isn't protected by the First Amendment, setting a new (but fair) limit on student free speech.
- Unsurprisingly, Singaporean society remains deeply conservative: in November, an Anglican church in the Queenstown district strung a banner across its faCade, proclaiming that .
News & Articles
- Taliban: Doha Office Flag, Banner Raised with 'Agreement of Qatar'
The Taliban had the agreement of the Qatar government to use its flag and banner at the opening of its Doha office, the group said on Sunday, in a sign it may be unwilling to remove what has become a key sticking-point in nascent Afghan peace talks. There appeared to have been a breakthrough last week in efforts to kickstart peace talks to end a 12-year-old war in Afghanistan, when the Taliban ...
June 23, 2013 - Voice of America
- Second banner-towing business to fly from Torrance airport
A second banner-towing business will soon begin operations at Torrance Municipal Airport. Aviad Aerial Media, which already conducts banner-towing operations at Long Beach and three other California airports, won approval from the Torrance City Council on Tuesday for a one-year contract.
June 20, 2013 - Daily Breeze
- Banner Misspells College World Series
A huge banner over the third-base dugout spelled the name of the tournament incorrectly — college had three Ls. Organizers of the tournament were embarrassed — especially because they had to hold off on fixing the problem until there was a break in play.
June 19, 2013 - NPR
- President Bush in Wall Street Journal
We have had good debates and soon we will have a nominee who will carry a conservative banner into this election and beyond,Mr. Bush said. "I'm absolutely confident that with your help, we will elect a person who shares our principles."
- Osama bin Laden in Navhind Times
Some of you have been lax in one duty, which is to unite your ranks,bin Laden said in the audiotape. "Beware of division ...... Muslims are waiting for you to gather under a single banner to champion righteousness. Be keen to oblige with...
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Jewish Telegraphic Agency
If Christ was on earth today, undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over,Ahmadinejad said, according to a transcript of his speech.