- n a movement back from an impact
- n an adverse reaction to some political or social occurrence
there was a backlash of intolerance
- v come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect
- The backlash there will mount rather than diminish as the bombing continues and refugees flood across from Afghanistan.
- Her popularity in Britain had been tempered by the "Boyle backlash," a phenomenon created and christened by the national media which at first hyped her natural talent and then .
- Journal (my former employer) to issue some dos and donts for its news staff last week that spawned a backlash from the Twitterati over what some say is a recipe for .
News & Articles
- W.Va. backlash emerging over education standards
W.Va. backlash emerging over education standards Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 7:18 am, Sunday, June 16, 2013 (AP) — West Virginia is sticking with new standards for math, reading and writing in public schools, but faces opposition fueled by the tea party movement ...
June 16, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- 5 Social Media Contests That Ended Horribly Wrong
This week, EE faced a social media backlash after an error in competition guidelines meant that people received TicketMaster vouchers instead of weekend passed to Glastonbury. We take a look at some other social media competitions which didn’t go to plan.
June 16, 2013 - Business Insider
- Parking Wars: There's a backlash brewing against West...
There's a backlash brewing against West Hollywood's rising cost of parking, and it's coming from the city's own councilmembers. Last week they voted to raise the cost of parking permits, but not everyone was on board.. John D'Amico wrote in...
June 14, 2013 - Curbed LA
- George Casey in South Dakota Politics (blog)
Army Chief of Staff Gen. George W. Casey Jr. warned of "a backlash against some of our Muslim soldiers," adding that "it would be a shame if our diversity became a casualty as well."
- Donovan McNabb in Forbes
It's just reality,McNabb said. "It's something that I've been a part of and other quarterbacks before and after me have been a part of. Did I expect any backlash? Yeah. Everything I say, I expect backlash from it."
- Nancy Ruth in Toronto Star
If you push it, there will be more backlash,Ruth said. "This is now a political football. This is not about women's health in this country."