- n a business engaged in the manufacture of automobiles
- Last week in one of those ironic twists of business history, VW, the former ugly duckling but now Europe's largest automaker, plunked down $703 million in cash to buy Rolls-Royce .
- Toyota is on pace to overtake troubled General Motors as the world's largest automaker by 2010.
- It's very expensive to operate a plant in California, notes a senior executive with another Japanese automaker.
- Barack Obama in The Japan Times
Obviously, Toyota has been an extraordinary automaker for a very long time, and I suspect that they will continue to be, despite this recent glitch,Obama said.
- Lewis Booth in AFP
We're still continuing to negotiate with (Chinese automaker) Geeley (Automobile Holdings) and we're committed to selling Volvo,Booth said. "Volvo will be sold."
- John Engler in Dayton Business Journal
Because the auto industry is "highly integrated," Engler said, "a failure of one automaker could have a crippling impact on the entire supply chain."