- a of or relating to the atmospheric phenomenon auroras
a prominent green line in the spectrum of the auroras is called the `auroral line'
- a characteristic of the dawn
a dim auroral glow
- For a long time the spectrum lines corresponding to the auroral colors were called "forbidden lines'' because they could not be reproduced in the laboratory.
- If any radio system can pierce the auroral absorption zone, SSB can.
- The cameras, known as the auroral large imaging system, are coated in a special powderized paint to deter tampering.
News & Articles
- Strong Geomagnetic Storm in Progress
Spaceweather.com reports a strong geomagnetic storm is in progress as Earth passes through a region of south-pointing magnetism in the solar wind. The storm has generated auroral displays as far south as Kansas in the US. The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center indicates the storm is a G3 level event. WWV announced at 0900 UTC, “Geomagnetic storms reaching the G3 level are likely” over the nex...
June 29, 2013 - ARRL Amateur Radio News
- Dava Sobel in International Herald Tribune
Every identifiable feature resolves into a cloud bank, a cyclone, a jet stream, a thunderbolt, or a curtain of auroral lights,Sobel writes. "On Jupiter, a storm may continue for centuries, innocent of landfall."
- Storr in CBC.ca
Storr mentions the quest of the famous Admiral Byrd, who manned a weather base in the Antarctic in the winter of 1934 and later wrote: "Aside from the meteorological and auroral work, I had no important purpose. There was nothing of that sort....
- Larry Esposito in New Scientist (subscription)
We hope to learn more about the auroral variations, and make comparisons with the auroras on Earth,says Esposito.