- n a shelter from danger or hardship
- n a hospital for mentally incompetent or unbalanced person
- When Jane was committed to an asylum, she was not capable of understanding how these doctors could heal her.
- The boat people sought political asylum in a country that was reeling under a sudden influx of refugees.
- And ironically, refugee experts and asylum seekers like Mekonen agree with the villagers if for different reasons.
News & Articles
- Asylum busted, booze confiscated after late-night party
Atlanta Police responded to a call at East Atlanta's Asylum Restaurant and Lounge early Wednesday, arresting the manager and citing the club for operating after hours and serving alcohol without a license, among other violations. According to a police report, when officers arrived around 7:15 a.m. this morning a few patrons were still "sitting at a booth with drinks on their table.… [ Read more ...
June 12, 2013 - Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Russia would consider asylum for U.S. cyber leaker
By Steve Gutterman MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia would consider granting asylum to the American who has exposed top-secret U.S. surveillance programs, if he were to ask for it, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman said on Tuesday. Spokesman Dmitry Peskov stopped short of saying Moscow would accept Edward Snowden, but pro-Kremlin lawmakers spoke out in favor of the idea, tapping into a lingering Cold ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Moscow says asylum 'will be considered' for Snowden if requested
Moscow has opened the door to asylum for American whistleblower Edward Snowden.
June 11, 2013 - Fox News
- Julia Gillard in Ipswich Queensland Times
People should say what they feel, and my view is many in the community should feel anxious when they see asylum-seeker boats, and obviously we as a government want to manage our borders,she said.
- Zahra Kazemi in eFluxMedia
According to The Times, Kazemi wrote in a letter addressed to Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary: "I did not come to the UK to claim asylum. I came here to study and return to my country. But . . . my situation has changed. The Iranian authorities...
- John Kerry in FOXNews
Tim and Junior have played by the rules since day one,Kerry said. "Junior's asylum claim is a legitimate one and has been recognized as such."