arboreal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a of or relating to or formed by trees
- a inhabiting or frequenting trees
- s resembling a tree in form and branching structure
- He spent years in Suriname, studying spider monkeys in their arboreal home.
- Earl Deal's Smokey Holler Tree Farm in western North Carolina won the arboreal equivalent of American Idol in 2005 when one of its Fraser firs was chosen as the White House .
- Some scientists believe that Neanderthals went extinct after a particularly volatile period of climate change shrank their arboreal hunting grounds.
- Chris Stringer in New Scientist (subscription)
Since all the sites which have yielded fossil evidence of our earliest ancestors were forested or wooded, rather than open, Stringer says, "arboreal bipedalism is certainly a very plausible mechanism for the origins of walking upright."