- n any of various small plant-sucking insects
- The long, cool, wet spring favored aphid reproduction and killed off many of its natural enemies (notably ladybugs).
- Recently Skovmand discovered a rare strain of wheat from eastern Turkey that is resistant to the Russian aphid, an invader that has so far cost American farmers $300 million.
- Lasius niger gently carries an aphid egg in its jaws, magnified here 90x.
News & Articles
- 101 Ideas: Talk about gall!
Abnormal growths that appear on the surface of leaves (or stems) are usually a sign that an insect is at work. There are hundreds of gall types, caused by mites, midges, tiny wasps, aphid-like insects and thrips and they vary in shape -- from red and spindly to round and green to large and woody -- depending on the type of insect and the plant affected.
June 10, 2013 - Greece Post
- John Meyer in U.S. News & World Report
If you are an aphid, and you want to reproduce quickly, parthenogenesis essentially allows you to double your production,says Prof. John Meyer, who teaches entomology at North Carolina State University.