- n one having both male and female sexual characteristics and organs; at birth an unambiguous assignment of male or female cannot be made
- In the films of Tsui Hark (Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain, Peking Opera Blues, Swordsman II, East Is Red), she was cunning, sexy, enigmatic, often androgyne.
- David Bowie, rock 'n' roll's self-styled androgyne and master of weirdness, appears, true to form, as an android come to earth in search of water for his drought-ridden planet.
- This illustration of the androgyne as supreme human type may not be the most sentimental piece of faggotry painted in the '90s, but it is a likely contender for the honor: a .
- Camille Paglia in City Journal
The man who would succeed in such a culture must appear to sympathize with these obscure hurts; he must take pains, Paglia writes in Sexual Personae, to appear an "androgyne, the nurturant male or male mother."