altruist : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n someone who makes charitable donations intended to increase human well-being
- He smokes cigarets incessantly, speaks confusingly about himself as a dual personality: "John Martin," altruist, idealist; and "hardboiled, almost unmoral" Morgan Shepard.
- In the Middle East Nikita Khrushchev posed as an altruist.
- When a church needed $13,000, the altruist gave it; when a ministerial student needed funds to complete his education, the altruist supplied them.
- Peter Gzowski in Globe and Mail
Back in the 1980s, Peter Gzowski described Pattison as "part altruist, part egoist, partly private, part showoff," and nowhere are the contradictions more apparent than here.