altimeter : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an instrument that measures the height above ground; used in navigation
- The tardy retrorocket firing that probably made the difference between success and failure, Barringer decided, could have been caused by an altimeter error of as little as 30 ft .
- Privity seemed to bar the suit: the dead daughter had had no direct connection with either the altimeter maker or Lockheed, the airplane manufacturer.
- The altimeter will bounce laser beams off the lunar surface and, by measuring the speed at which they reflect back up, calculate the moon's topography to within inches.
News & Articles
- High-resolution Miniature Altimeter from Measurement Specialties Provides Conversions Down to 0.5 ms
HAMPTON, Va., June 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Measurement Specialties (NASDAQ: MEAS), a leading global manufacturer in sensor-based measuring of pressure/force, position, vibration, temperature, humidity and fluid properties, has released a miniature altimeter with a fast conversion time...
June 14, 2013 - PR Newswire
- Pieter van Vollenhoven in San Jose Mercury News
Van Vollenhoven said that from now on "the technical investigation will be directed at the functioning of the automatic pilot, the automatic gas control system, and their coupling to the radio altimeter."
- Bob Schieffer in Washington Post
Noting how many times the speech had been called "lofty," Schieffer said, "I think we're about to see that altimeter start going down."