- v cause great unhappiness for; distress
she was afflicted by the death of her parents
- v cause physical pain or suffering in
afflict with the plague
- They are just in the same circles as many drug traffickers and are caught up in the jealousies and arguments that afflict everyone in that world.
- HIV and AIDS predominantly afflict the middle-aged, with the highest rates of incidence falling among the 40-to-49 (7%) and 50-to-59 age ranges (5%).
- To cope with the neuroses and nuisances that afflict its 1,200 students, Midpeninsula also provides abortion counseling, a center offering help after bad trips, and a generation .
News & Articles
- Los Angeles Boys Have Eating Disorders Thanks to Channing Tatum
In most of America, eating disorders disproportionately afflict young women, rather than young men. But in Los Angeles, almost as many boys as girls are vomiting and using laxatives to lose weight. What's to blame? Uh... Channing Tatum and Twitter? Read more...
June 14, 2013 - Gawker
- Manmohan Singh in Reuters India
India needs to grow at the rate of at least 10 percent per annum to get rid of chronic poverty, ignorance and disease which still afflict millions of our people,Singh said.
- Pope Benedict XVI in International Herald Tribune
Benedict said that as he sets out for Africa, he has in mind "the victims of hunger, disease, injustice, fratricidal conflicts and every form of violence which unfortunately continue to afflict adults and children, without sparing missionaries"...
- Rajendra Pachauri in NEWS.com.au
The message should go out to everyone - developed and developing countries - we are all in this together. We have to make sure that climate change does not afflict the inhabitants of this planet,Pachauri told a cheering crowd of some 200...