- n an abstract genre of art; artistic content depends on internal form rather than pictorial representation
- n a representation having no reference to concrete objects or specific examples
- Last week an exhibition in West Germany revealed a new "father" of abstractionism; he turned out to be none other than the great Swedish playwright August Strindberg, who 70 years .
- Manhattan's Museum of Modern Art, which was probably the chief critical influence in developing the great outpouring of American abstractionism of the last 15 years, this week .
- Davis was well on his way to abstractionism.