torrid torrid /ˈtɔ rəd/
- (adj) characterized by intense emotion
- (adj) extremely hot
- (adj) emotionally charged and vigorously energetic
- Writing in Science, Emiliani reports that the earth has undergone at least eight periods of extreme cold and seven of torrid heat in the past 400,000 years.
- The story becomes a standard guy-meets-God melodrama, heavy on the heartstrings and full of torrid and often turgid dialogue.
- In fact, biologists are identifying new species at a torrid rate, about 50 a day; nearly 17,000 new plants and animals were described in 2006 alone, or some 1% of the 1.
- G4S has had a torrid time of late, yet it's managed to attract one very high-profile backer to its shareholder list.on June 11, 2013 Source: The Motley Fool
- Longview-area home prices continued a string of steady increases in April and May, but didn’t rise at the torrid pace seen across the nation. Promote to Mobile read moreon June 10, 2013 Source: KETK 56 Tyler
- KINGSTON Jamaica – The Reggae Boyz find themselves at a crossroads as they prepare to complete a torrid stint of CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers with Tuesday's testing visit to Honduras, and their choice could help determine the course of the wider Hexagonal race.on June 9, 2013 Source: MLS via Yahoo! Sports
- In his lawsuit, Idema accused the AP of ignoring truths about his work in Afghanistan to generate a "hot salient and torrid story of abuse in Afghanistan" to compete with a CBS story about allegations of torture at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.on Jul 12, 2007 By: Jack Idema Source: Washington Post
- Smith said: "We feel it will be beneficial for him to get regular football there and we hope he can return to the level we all know he is capable of. Andy has had a torrid time since he arrived at Rangers and it will be good for him to get games...on Aug 18, 2008 By: Walter Smith Source: SkySports
- "I prayed multiple times a day, sang hymns with emotion and tears, felt each time that it wouldn't happen again, read the Bible every morning," he said. "So how in the world did I have a 'torrid' (which is an accurate word) many-year affair?...on Jun 15, 2010 By: Mark Souder Source: Huffington Post (blog)