- n worker in a railway yard
- n a laborer hired to do outdoor work (such as mowing lawns)
- His father was a bitter, disappointed ineffectual who drifted from one job to another (carpenter, poultry butcher, Venetian-blind installer, yardman), and the precarious family .
- Hoover Secretary of Labor, onetime railroad yardman; of heart disease; in "Notre Nid," his Virginia home across the Potomac from Washington.
- Plunk!it landed on the tracks, barely missing the head of a yardman and scaring him out of his wits.