- n the coldest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the winter solstice to the vernal equinox
- v spend the winter
We wintered on the Riviera
Shackleton's men overwintered on Elephant Island
- Every fourth winter ABC makes a TV addict of me with its coverage of the Winter Olympics.
- This chorale roundelay about a school trip to the woods in winter is just 52 words and two-and-a-half minutes long.
- That's because it's winter in the southern hemisphere, and flu infections tend to spike during the fall and winter months in temperate countries.
- Vladimir Putin in International Herald Tribune
On the seashore you can enjoy a fine spring day, but up in the mountains, it's winter,Putin said. "A real snow is guaranteed."
- Greg Zipadelli in International Herald Tribune
We've worked all winter, we've worked the last 10 years, I've worked my whole life,Zipadelli said. "It's just the way that it is. There's a lot of good people that haven't won this race. I'm not going to get hung up on it. I'm going to...
- Robert Gates in FOXNews
It is a tough pull,Gates told "Fox News Sunday." "We warned everybody that would be the case last winter, that as we went into areas that the Taliban had controlled for two or three years, that our casualties would grow, especially this...