- n a periodic state during which you are conscious and aware of the world
consciousness during wakefulness in a sane person is pretty well ordered and familiar
- n a temporary state in which you are unable (or unwilling) to sleep
accept your wakefulness and sleep in its own contrary way is more likely to come
- n the process of paying close and continuous attention
wakefulness, watchfulness, and bellicosity make a good hunter
- What does it take to make the wakefulness center fall asleep? Aristotle noted that a heavy meal leads to somnolence, went on to speculate that sleep is caused by vapors rising .
- To combat wakefulness, Americans filled more than 50 million prescriptions in 2008 for sleeping pills like Ambien and spent more than $600 million on over-the-counter sleep-inducing .
- Kleitman had much difficulty, his periods of wakefulness and sleepiness and his temperature cycle clinging to the 24-hour schedule.
- Yann Martel in The Charlatan
Every person has a space next to where they sleep, whether a patch of pavement or a fine bedside table,Martel wrote in his first letter to Harper. "In that space, at night, a book can glow. And in those moments of docile wakefulness, when...