- n mechanical device attached to an elevated structure; rotates freely to show the direction of the wind
- n a fin attached to the tail of an arrow, bomb or missile in order to stabilize or guide it
- n flat surface that rotates and pushes against air or water
- n the flattened weblike part of a feather consisting of a series of barbs on either side of the shaft
- As the hereditary chieftain of Lebanon's Druze Muslim minority, Jumblatt earned the nickname 'the weather vane" for being able to steer his followers through the ever changing .
- A six-foot painted knight in gaudy armor on a painted horse spins from a turret as a weather vane.
- What happens in South Africa affects all Africa and is often seen as a weather vane for the continent.
News & Articles
- Budget cuts squeeze Martinez's Mountain View Emergency Family Shelter
MARTINEZ -- Shasta Vane and her children moved into Mountain View Emergency Family Shelter in May after she spent nine months in a residential drug treatment program.
June 29, 2013 - El Cerrito Journal
- Walpole church replaces hurricane damaged weather vane
Here is the church, here is the steeple, look up above and see the recently restored gold leafed weather vane. Workers mounted the weather vane on the United Church on Common Street, eight months after old one was damaged during Hurricane Sandy.
June 28, 2013 - The Walpole Times
- British mining company sues U.S. government over Grand Canyon uranium mining moratorium
Vane Minerals seeks $132 million in damages By Summit Voice FRISCO — The long-running battle over uranium mining near the Grand Canyon took another twist this week as a British company, VANE Minerals, sued the United States in Washington’s U.S. Court of Claims over the decision to protect 1 million acres of public lands around […]
June 26, 2013 - Summit County Citizens Voice
- Heather Wilson in San Diego Union Tribune
In this great struggle, we need a commander in chief who is a beacon, not a weather vane,said Rep. Heather Wilson of New Mexico in remarks prepared for delivery to delegates gathered four miles from the site where terrorists struck on Sept....
- Eliot Spitzer in NY1
We are making the very hard choices that we must,said Spitzer. "We would all love to save the fare. We would all wish to find that pot of gold or vane of precious gems that would permit us not to need to do this. This is the right...
- David R Brinkley in Baltimore Sun
It's a sacred document, not a weather vane,said Sen. David R. Brinkley, the minority leader from Frederick County. "You don't need to go in and tinker with the constitution."