- n an upward movement or trend as in business activity
- Still, some upturn is better than no upturn: housing is at least ceasing to be a drag on the national economy.
- Here's another thing to know about the index of leading indicators: in the past, the upturn in this index precedes the economy's upturn by as much as 12 months.
- The second quarter did indeed see the end of the downturn, and by last week signs of upturn were visible (see BUSINESS) even through grey-colored glasses.
- Jean-Claude Trichet in Wall Street Journal
Many countries in the industrialized world have reached the limits of fiscal expansion,Mr. Trichet told a central banking conference. "Fiscal authorities need to look beyond the current cyclical upturn. There is no alternative to that."