- n nonsense that is simply incoherent and unintelligible
- n incomprehensibility as a consequence of being unintelligible
- There is a very satisfying running gag involving the unintelligibility and unpronounceability of Torquil Helvoir-Jaynes ("Stalk hilly virgin," "Thought we'll heave the gin," "Talk .
- To many a baffled reader of Finnegans Wake, the death of Joyce meant merely that the "cult of unintelligibility" had lost its chief prophet.
- She does not belong to what Critic Max Eastman calls "the cult of unintelligibility," but readers may puzzle over some of her idiosyncrasies of expression.